History at University of the Cumberlands
Kentucky Life takes a look at the stories behind the historical markers on the campus of University of the Cumberlands in Williamsburg.
Roeburn Hall on the campus of the University of the Cumberlands in Williamsburg is the location of one of five historical markers on the campus. Built in 1888, Roeburn was the first building of what was then called the Williamsburg Institute, a school established to provide affordable Christian education to students from Kentucky’s mountain region.
By 1913, the institute had grown significantly and was renamed Cumberland College. Among its distinguished graduates are members of the U.S. Congress, Kentucky governors, and university presidents.
The school has continued to grow over the years, furthering its mission of Christian-oriented education in Southeastern Kentucky. In 2005, it was officially renamed again, this time as University of the Cumberlands.
Learn more at www.ucumberlands.edu.
This video is part of Kentucky Life episode #1919, which originally aired on May 10, 2014. View the full episode here.